The world of forex was unlocked by developers who created innovative games and mobile apps using FXCM’s ForexConnect API.
FXCM challenges software developers to create innovative and engaging apps that will help the public participate in forex trading. Using FXCM’s ForexConnect API, developers can build new apps including games, news alerts, trading functionality, currency converters, educational content, and more. Over $50,000 in prizes will be awarded to the best applications.
To get started, check out the requirements (for more information see the Official Rules):
Application Categories (Games, Education, Mobile Trading, Other)
Application Platforms Accepted (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, desktop, web)
Eligibility Requirements (U.S. residents; U.S.-based organizations with less than 50 employees; larger organizations are eligible for recognition only)
Forex trading is very similar to stock trading. It allows you to buy and sell currencies pairs, such as EUR/USD or USD/JPY, just as you would buy and sell stocks. The advantages of forex trading include the ability to trade 24 hours a day, 5 days a week, the ability to sell a currency pair just as easily as you can buy it so you can trade in up and/or down markets, there are far fewer currency pairs to trade than stocks so your trading can be much more focused, and you can get international exposure. Many of the resources you would use to trade stocks (market news, live charts, live rates, receiving trading tips or alerts, etc.) apply to forex trading as well.
The public can help inspire developers by competing in an Ideas challenge, sharing what type of forex or stock trading app they’d like to see built.
Best Overall App - Grand Prize
Best Overall App - Second Prize
Best Overall App - Third Prize
Best Educational App
Best Mobile Trading App
- Individuals 18 years or older (and teams of individuals) who are legal residents of the United States.
- Organizations legally registered and domiciled in the United States with <50 employees.
- What to create: app that uses the ForexConnect API; demonstration video; image(s); installation file; testing instructions.
- Categories: Games, Educational Apps, Mobile Trading Apps, or Other.
- Eligible devices/platforms: Android, iOS, Windows mobile phone, Windows computer, or Mac. (Browsers-based apps will be eligible, but are not natively supported.)
- Online store: Your app must be submitted to an app store and must list FXCM in the app store description of the app and within the app itself. Please see the Official Rules for the specific requirments.
EVP of Technology - FXCM
Team Lead for Programming Services - FXCM
Managing Director - Bain Capital Ventures
Co-founder and CEO of StockTwits, Managing Partner of Social Leverage
Managing Partner and Co-founder - Contour Venture Partners
Quality of the Idea
Includes creativity and originality
Implementation of the Idea
Includes how well the idea – described in the “Description” area of the submission - was executed by the developer and how well the ForexConnect API was integrated
Overall User Experience
Includes design, graphics, typography, and visual aesthetic
How to enter
- Create an account or log in with an existing ChallengePost account.
- On ForexFreestyle.ChallengePost.com, click Accept this challenge to register your interest in participating. This step ensures that you will receive important challenge updates.
- Download the Getting Started Document and FXCM’s ForexConnect API (You will be required to accept the FXCM End User License Agreement when installing the API.)
- Create a working software application that uses the ForexConnect API and runs on an iOS, Android, or Windows mobile device, or Windows or Mac personal computer. (Browser-based apps will also be eligible, however the ForexConnect API does not natively support browser applications at this time.)
- Submit your working software application to a publicly accessible online application store and link to it in the “Website URL” field of your submission (or include a link to your website if you are submitting a browser-based app). If you are submitting an Android, iOS, Windows Phone, or desktop application, you must submit an installation file. [NOTE: Applications must list FXCM in the description of the application on the relevant online application store and also within the app itself, if such a section exists. Applications must include the following disclaimer in the description of the Application included on the relevant online application store or website: "FXCM is an independent legal entity and is not affiliated with [Applicants name or company]. [Application Name] is not owned, controlled, or operated by FXCM. Therefore, FXCM does not make any warranties regarding any product or service and has not reviewed or verified any performance results that may be presented and/or described here.” Applications that display tables, charts, or sections of data updated from the ForexConnect API must include attribution of the data to FXCM.]
- Confirm that you have read, understood, and agree to the Official Rules, and submit your application by including a link to it on a publicly accessible online application store or other website (if applicable), a video demonstrating how it works on an approved device or emulator, a text description, at least one photograph, an installation file (if applicable), step-by-step testing instructions, and any other required form fields.